My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Mt 26:14-25

Wednesday's gospel reading is about Judas - Mt 26:14-25 - and that reminded me of a poem ...

Saint Judas
- by James Wright

When I went out to kill myself, I caught
A pack of hoodlums beating up a man.
Running to spare his suffering, I forgot
My name, my number, how my day began,
How soldiers milled around the garden stone
And sang amusing songs; how all that day
Their javelins measured crowds; how I alone
Bargained the proper coins, and slipped away.

Banished from heaven, I found this victim beaten,
Stripped, kneed, and left to cry. Dropping my rope
Aside, I ran, ignored the uniforms:
Then I remembered bread my flesh had eaten,
The kiss that ate my flesh. Flayed without hope,
I held the man for nothing in my arms.


2 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

That's a great poem, Crystal. I love James Wright, but I wasn't familiar with this one.

1:28 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam. I hadn't heard of him before I saw this poem. I guess the good thing about knowing nothing about poetry is that I have a lot to discover :-)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home