My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Follow your bliss

I noticed in a post at America magazine's blog that Jesuit James Martin is guest blogging this week and answering questions posed. Today he is at A Nun's Life, and I asked a question about Ignatian prayer, which he answered. What was even more interesting to me, though, was his answer to an earlier question about how to discern a non-religious vocation. I really liked the answer he gave, which incorporated a quotation from Pedro Arrupe ......

************

Father Martin: Well, that’s a good question. Really, though, the process is the same for any vocation and any state of life. One’s primary call comes from one’s deepest desires, which are God’s desires planted within us. Then one “tests them out,” to see how things work out. For example, you may have a great desire to be a lawyer and then find out that practicing law is not what you really desire. So “confirmation” of your choice is also important. In general, though, I would say pay attention to what you find attractive, appealing and exciting.

One of my favorite meditations for this is the one by Pedro Arrupe, SJ, the former superior general of the Jesuits (also included in my book!) Here’s his meditation, called “Falling in Love.” It can be applied not only to individuals, or religious communities, but also to anyone’s vocation in life.

Father Arrupe wrote: “Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in a love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the mornings, what you will do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.”

*********************


7 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I came here this morning hoping to listen to "You Are My Sunshine," which I didn't have time to hear last night. Did I imagine it last night?

5:09 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

No, it was here for a brief time :) I was in one of my blog pruning moods last night.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

You're so ruthless! :-)

5:49 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Hey Crystal, how are you doing?

7:26 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam. Feeling under the weather the last few days.

11:20 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Perhaps pruning your blog is one of your deepest desires. :-)

2:26 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I do think it feers that obsessive compulsive neatnik thing I have going :)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home