My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, July 27, 2008

National Treasure's Trinity Church



I was reading through some blog post excerpts from bishops at the Lambeth Conference at the Episcopal Cafe, and saw mention of a certain church - Trinity Church, Wall Street - and I thought, hey, that's the church in the Nick Cage movie, National Treasure, beneath which a cache of Templar gold lay buried in a secret underground chamber :)


- five stories below Trinity Church, Ben Gates searches for buried treasure

Here's a little bit about Trinity Church from Wikipedia ....

**********************

Trinity Church, at 79 Broadway in New York City, is a historic full service parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is located at the intersection of Broadway and Wall Street in downtown Manhattan.

In 1696, Governor Benjamin Fletcher approved the purchase of land in Lower Manhattan by the Church of England community for construction of a new church. The parish received its charter from King William III of England on May 6, 1697. Its land grant specified an annual rent of one peppercorn due to the English crown.

The present day Trinity Church, designed by architect Richard Upjohn, is considered a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its architectural significance and place within the history of New York City.

When the church was consecrated on Ascension Day May 1, 1846, its soaring Neo-Gothic spire, surmounted by a gilded cross, dominated the skyline of lower Manhattan. Trinity was a welcoming beacon for ships sailing into New York Harbor .....

***************************


- organ in All Saints' Chapel of Trinity Church


- Trinity Church Cemetery

You can take a slideshow tour of the church at its website


9 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

I have to admit, I love that movie.

The church is a great isle of green & peace in the middle of the financial district. One thing I love about NY is the wealth of church architecture. here.

7:10 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Great pictures of The Trinity's Physical Beauty.

Don't ask me to name them but from the movies I've seen of Nick, I got the idea that his soul and/or spirit was locked in some kind of cage or was that my imaginary spiritual friends thoughts? (lol!?)

Keep Up the good work Crystal

Peace (:

8:24 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam,

I have to admit, I love that movie.

Me too :)

You have so many great churches in your city.

10:19 AM  
Blogger victor said...

He's not that High!

Cut it out guys, she was talking to me!

(lol)

:)

10:55 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Trinity is a beautiful church. And it is a wonderful little oasis in the midst of Wall Street. The NY Stock Exchange - Trinity, right there.

They do, and always have done, a lot of great music there, too. Even back in the 1860s they got newspaper coverage of musical events there - much more than any other church.

I'm afraid my feelings towards National Treasure (Please, someone, make Nicholas Cage go away!) aren't as pleasant. But I'm glad (I will pay money - just make him stop!) you guys liked it. :-)

8:23 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

How can you not like Nicholas Cage? Think of Raising Arizona, The Rock, Adaptation. Okay, yes, there was also The Wicker Man and Next, but nobody's perfect :)

9:47 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

>How can you not like Nicholas Cage?

Oh, believe me, it's very easy. Go on Google and type in I HATE NICHOLAS CAGE, and you'll see I'm not alone.

I liked him in the beginning, and yes, he was really good in Raising Arizona. At some point, I began to like him less. Then, I started avoiding his movies more and more. Now, it would take force or a lot of money for me to go see him in anything.

I liked the story of National Treasure. The movie itself just seemed too . . . . MTV-ish? Very fast. Very thin. And if Cage weren't the main guy, I probably would've liked it more, and gone to see the new one.

Evidently, my dislike of Nicholas Cage even outweighs seeing Helen Mirren in a minor role. That's some powerful dislike. My wife, however, may make me watch the second one at some point. (The "force" part of the equation above.)

We'll always have David Duchovny. :-)

11:41 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I think the second movie wasn't as good as the first. It was kind of light, and no Helen Mirrin in the first one, but there was Sean Bean :)

3:57 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Ruth :)

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home