My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Jeremy Sisto


- Sisto in his new Law and Order gig as Detective Cyrus Lupo (L)

Part two of "January is Actors-I-Like Month" (Lance Henriksen being #1) is about Jeremy Sisto. I picked him for two reasons - one is that he's mostly known as the insane Billy from Six Feet Under although he's done a lot of better work, and the other is that I first noticed him when he played Jesus in the movie of the same name .... hard to not like him after that :) So here's a bit about some of his movies ....

Grand Canyon
Directed by Lawrence Kasdan (The Big Chill) in 1992 and starring Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Steve Martin, Mary McDonnell and Alfre Woodard, this was a kind of odd film about the difference one person can make in another's life. Sisto played Kevin Kline's teenaged son, Roberto. Ebert really liked it and gave it four stars.

Suicide Kings
This 1997 film starred Christopher Walken and told of a group of rich kids who kidnap a mobster. Not one of my favorite films and the Tomatometer gave it just 36% points, but Christopher Walken!

Jesus
I may be prejudiced but I think this 1999 tv miniseries is the best Jesus movie of them all. Some of what makes it different from other Jesus movies - it shows an ongoing relationship between Jesus and a still alive (for a while) Joseph, a love relationship between Jesus and Mary of Bathany (nipped in the bud), a Satan dressed in modern garb who tempts Jesus not just in the wilderness but also in the garden by showing him a future in which men kill in his name, and a Jesus who laughs and weeps, skips stones on the Sea of Galilee, gets ticked off, tells bad jokes, and dances the night away. Here's a trailer for the Jesus miniseries ....



Julius Caesar
I really liked this 2002 tv miniseries which starred Sisto as Caesar, Richard Harris as Lucius Sulla, Chris Noth as Pompey, and Christopher Walken as Cato the Younger. I'd never cared so much about the guy who'd wept over Alexander the Great's accomplishments, but the movie made him seem a real person who loved his little daughter and who refused to dump his politically outre wife even on threat of death.



So, if all you know of Jeremy Sisto is what you've seen on Six Feet Under, give him another try.




10 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Is it okay to say I liked "Slumdog Millionaire" here, or is that too non-big east?

4:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

It's ok. I saw that Ben Witherington had a review of it at his blog. I haven't seen it.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

I'm a big fan of Jeremy Sisto. I'd like to check out the Julius Caesar movie.

I walked by him around the corner from my apartment the other day. It's hard to walk around this town without bumping into a "Law and Order" shoot.

6:44 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Liam, So cool! :)

10:56 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Only where you live could January possibly be Actors-I-Like Month. Where I live, January is Woodstoves-I-Like Month, Goosedown-Mittens-I-Like Month, and Let's All-Sleep-in-Cashmere-From-The-Thrift-Shop Month. :-)

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I knew he was in that Jesus picture, but I didn't know he was in so many other things.

Christopher Walken! He could take up two months.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Sisto. I suggest The Movie Hero.

[url]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61REB4W76RL._SS500_.jpg[/url]

1:35 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Kay.

2:55 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Amazing - Jeremy Sisto has 72 acting credits on IMDB, and I've only seen one thing: Waitress, in which his role wasn't that big.

Guess I'll have to catch up on this guy.

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home