My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Libya

Being for the most part a pacifist, I've been averting my eyes from intervention in Libya, but still I've noticed a couple of posts on the subject. One of the posts (with some interesting comments) is at dotCommonweal: War. Again., and the other is at US Catholic. Here's just the beginning of the post at US Catholic by Bryan Cones ....

UPDATE: Just war theory v. Libya? 2nd thoughts...

UPDATE: My natural suspicion about the use of military action in Libya has been deepened by the scale of the bombing (see proportionality below), which has included more than 100 Tomahawk cruise missiles and multiple attacks against Libyan infrastructure well away from the besieged civilians of Benghazi (see just cause). Add to it the discovery that most Libyan oil goes to Europe, led by France and Italy and Ireland (see right intention), and this action starts to struggle to meet just war criteria.

Less than a week into this operation, I worry that what we have is another intervention by Western colonial powers to secure the natural resources of a weaker nation. Muammar Gaddafi, like Saddam Hussen before him, may be a bad man who does cruel things and oppresses his people. But the world is filled with those kinds of people, and we aren't bombing them ......



2 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Excellent links, Crystal. Thank you. I've shared the sympathy AND the suspicion. We've poked into a hornets' nest, and God only knows what's going to happen next.

10:52 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

Yeah, I don't know enough about what's happening, but still I just get a sinking feeling about it.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home