My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, March 25, 2011

Mandela, Berrigan, Escrivá: One of these things is not like the others

There's a post at America magazine's blog by Austen Ivereigh on the recent movie about Opus Dei founder Josemaría Escrivá, There Be Dragons.

I've mentioned often that I don't like Escrivá or the movie, given his support of fascist Franco in the Spanish Civil War. But I just couldn't not write something when I read Austen Ivereigh comparing Escrivá to both Daniel Berrigan SJ and Nelson Mandela .... holy mackerel!

I guess There Be Dragons (and its marketers - Austen writes that he's part of the team engaged in the grassroots marketing to congregations) is an example of how history can be sort of re-created through popular culture (think the Alamo).

Here (not in any special order) are a few of my past posts that touch in one way or another on the subject of Escrivá, or Opus Dei, or the Spanish Civil War ....

- Hans Urs von Balthasar and Opus Dei

- Basque priests / Spanish Civil War

- Andy Garcia is Lorca :)

- Spanish Ciliv War

- There be Dragons

- Opus Dei and Anglican Ordinariates

- Breach

- Jon Sobrino SJ


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home