My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The other monarchy

I liked this post by Bryan Cones at US Catholic - Why I won't be watching the JPII beatification blowout. Here's part of it ....

After reading John Allen's third thousand-word Q&A post on the beatification of Pope John Paul II, I can't decide what I'm more sick of: the "royal wedding" or the beatification of JPII. Neither really has anything to do with my life, since I'm not British or a monarchist, and the way the Catholic church does it, I'm never going to be canonized either .......

Pope John Paul II was a fine man, heroic even in some ways, as I noted in my May column, but I think we need another 50 years or so before we make him a saint--regardless of how many miracles he pulls off in the meantime. As another writer noted at NCR, doing it now could be interpreted as a way of propping up the papal monarchy, analogous to the royal wedding ........



4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

A-MEN! Thank you for saying it, Crystal.

12:14 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

It's Bryan who sid it, but I agree :)

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you two. As to miracles, I quote my wife. "I'll believe in miracles of healing when JP2 or any others that claim such, can show me a case of a person without arms 'sprouting'two brand new ones because of...name your miracle worker living or dead. Of course we should know that such a feat would be nothing to the guy who created a billion galaxcies(sp?)out of absolute nothing." Alex

10:30 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes, it would seem to me that a miracle, even if it did happen, would be the least reliable way of deciding someone's worthiness.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home