My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Relics :(

Today I moved a low table that was near the couch. I had bought it at a thrift store so that I could sit on the floor while using the computer. When Kermit got really sick and spent all her time on the couch, I dragged it over there so I could sit by her while using the computer. Here she is laying on the top of the couch ....



I kept the table and computer in the same place after she died - it was sort of comforting - but a couple of months ago when my computer died, I put the replacement on another higher table and today I moved the low table. Doing that made me so sad - it was like I was erasing Kermit. It's at this point, I guess, that people get new pets, but I'm reminded of what Data said to Geordi in the Star Trek episode Time's Arrow ...

Geordi: I never knew how tough this must be for you ... Knowing that you would outlive all your friends.
Data: I expected to make new friends.
Geordi: True.
Data: And then to outlive them as well.

:(


7 Comments:

Anonymous David Smith said...

.

Yes, if Owen dies before I do, I'm pretty sure there'll be no more cat companions here. Cats are people, and you don't just replace people.

But I must admit that perhaps a stronger motivator for not trying to find someone else is a desire to be free of the responsibility and the mess.

.

12:03 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi David,

They are little people :) I have worries about the responsibility too and I would be happy if I never set foot in a vet's office again. I guess that's sort of how love is, though - ithe joy and the bad stuff are intertwined.

12:32 AM  
Blogger MadPriest said...

Of course, you don't replace people. When you make a new friend you don't do so to replace a lost friend. Friendships don't work like that, they are not clinical. Each friendship is unique and self contained. Your memories of old friends are unique in their own right.

As for responsibilities - check out your local cat refuge and then work it out for yourself.

4:27 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi MP,

You're right, of course, about friends. Part of the problem is money and the decaying nature of my house - not really a fit p[lace for a pet - and also wory that I can't see well enough to do all that needs to be done, but mostly it's that when I think about getting another pet, I feel sick. Need to work on this.

12:16 PM  
Blogger MadPriest said...

Ha! I've worked on farms where the cats lived in barns. They really don't care about the state of the property as long as they can get out of the rain and wind when they want to.

But, if you have poor eyesight, especially if it is deteriorating, I would suggest you consider getting an intelligent breed of dog and teaching it to assist you. I'm not talking about a guide dog, just a dog that will pick up things if you drop them and that sort of thing. A dog would also protect you.

12:58 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

A dog! I haven't had one since I lived at home. That's something to think about. Maybe I can start small - a couple of mice - and work my way up :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger MadPriest said...

A medium sized dog would be best. Not so big it's too much to handle but big enough for you to see it :-)

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home