My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Latest book from the library

West of Jesus: Surfing, Science and the Origins of Belief by Steven Kotler .......

***

In The White Album, Joan Didion wrote, "We tell ourselves stories in order to live," and then proceeded to tell a story about a time in her life when the stories she told herself began to fail. Which may be how things go for many of us, and it certainly was for me. In the fall of 2003, at a time when I was making my living as a journalist, at a time when the president of the United States comfortably dismissed the idea of Darwinian evolution in favor of a more economic, six-day approach; at a time when certain members of Congress were trying to remake democracy in their own image; at a time when I was recovering from a long and nagging illness; when many of the people around me began getting married, having children, moving away, or on, or staying exactly where they were, without me; at a time a pair of hurricanes were heavy on the neck of Central America, I went to Mexico to surf. I went because of these things. I went because the stories I told myself had begun to fail ....

***

I saw this recommended in a post at the NYT's philosophy blog and thought I'd give it a try. Just at the beginning so far.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home