My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Speed of Dark, continued



I'm still listening to The Speed of Dark, the story about an autistic. It's touching me. Here's where I amo now ...

What I wish is that I could go out and look up at the stars. My parents took me camping in the south-west. I remember lying there and seeing all the beautiful patterns, patterns that went on and on forever. I would like to see the stars again. They made me feel calm when I was a child. They showed me an ordered universe, a patterned universe, in which I could be a small part of a large pattern. When my parents told me how long the light had traveled to reach my eyes - hundreds, thousands of years - I felt comforted, though I could not say why. I cannot see the stars from here ...


2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Martin said...

When I was a kid and my dad told me the same thing it blew my mind. The way he'd put it was that some of the light strking my eyes had shone when there were still dinosaurs on the earth.

It somehow made it feel like I'd JUST MISSED seeing the dinosaurs...

7:12 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Paul,

I don't remember anyone ever talking to me about the stars when I was a kid. It is a neat idea - that the light comes from so far away :)

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home