My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, October 21, 2013

David B. Hart's book


- Discovery, Peter Max

Reading about David Bentley Hart's book, The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss at Religion Dispatches: Do Intelligent People Need Religion?. I'm not sure if I'll buy it ... on the one hand, I find strange his obsession with defeating atheism, but on the other hand, from some of what I read about the book, he spends time on what matters to me about religion: experience. Here's a bit from the review ...

Religion reminds us that, “we labor to forget what is laid out before us in every moment,” and spend, “much of our lives wandering in dreams, in a deep but fitful sleep.” The Experience of God focuses on three mysteries that lie at the heart of every person’s experience of the world. These mysteries are summed up in the phrase, Satchitananda, or Being, Consciousness, Bliss—the Hindu name for the experience of God.

Earnest reflection upon reality, Hart says, will always leads us to an experience of wonder; we can’t help but be amazed, if we consider it carefully enough, that anything exists at all. This wonder doesn’t concern how one physical state arose out of another physical state through material causes, it’s the awareness that existence is a gift we receive in every instant.


Below is a video of Hart talking about his book. One word he mentions is 'Satchitananda' and when I heard that, my first thought was of the yogi, Satchidananda :) ...

Satchidananda Saraswati (December 22, 1914 – August 19, 2002), born as C. K. Ramaswamy Gounder, was an Indian religious teacher, spiritual master and yoga adept .... in 1966 he visited New York City at the request of the artist Peter Max. Soon after his initial visit, Satchidananda formally moved to the United States and eventually became a citizen. From his new home he spread his teachings of yoga, selfless service, ecumenism and enlightenment.

But I digress. Here's the video ...


6 Comments:

Anonymous Victor said...

(((But I digress. Here's the video ...)))

Crystal you should not distress yourself about this video. I came here to ask if you were still praying for me and.....

AND YA SAY VICTOR NOW!

"ME", "ME" and "ME" can answer that for our crystals!

Listen Victor just because some of your so called human flesh cells can moves Right and Left and equal darkness and light does not mean that YA can make Heads or tales, "I" mean tails out of what this "MAN" is talking about.

Victor! Just because some might like YA at Yahoo, "I" mean at
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2013/10/21/7-things-9-oclock-10-21/ doesn't mean that they are full of "IT" and by the way have YA taken your laxative today. Some of Vermic's cells don't really understand YA and even if they did, "IT" would not cut "IT" with U>S (usual sinners) "I" mean us gods. They just don't know what a Good laxative is yet and once Vermic and the likes learn this trough science, we gods will all be the better for "IT" NOW!

Escuse "ME", "ME" and "ME" but "I", "I" mean us gods must burp because Matter does not matter nowadays.

Victor, why don't YA just pretend that you're alive and in the mean time, remember that Life does go on and let's forget about "Nothing AT all"

Victor! Victor! Victor! http://timeforreflections.blogspot.ca/ you've got so much to learn.

Listen Victor! YA can fool some of the people some of the time butt YA can't fool all of us gods any time "I" mean anytime especially at Xmass "I" mean at Christmas time. .

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theanchoress/2013/10/21/wood-grain-pens-advent-candles-wreaths-it-begins/

OK! OK! You might have some past atheist cells like Jeff, http://www.splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/2013/10/book-review-pope-francis-our-brother-our-friend-personal-recollections-about-the-man-who-became-pope/ The Mill her, "I" mean Miller fooled but us gods do have a song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWA1A9XFi8 "I" think and.....

END YA SAY sinner vic? BE NICE! DON'T BE LIKE THAT NOW!

"MAN" I must apologize for sinner vic!

Go Figure folks? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxSTzSEiZ2c

God Bless Peace

10:02 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes :)

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Atheism is like the jacket in my closest. I try it on once in awhile. It looks pretty good, but it doesn't fit just right, a bit confining, doesn't keep me warm enough. But I keep it,not ready to give it up just yet.

4:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hmmm - for some reason Blogger keeps finding your comments spammy.

I just don't get why some Christians must try to prove atheists to be wrong, as if both can't co-exist. I like the jacket analogy :)

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

Crystal what I've learned in my old years is that GOD (GOOD OLD DAD) LOVES U>S (usual sinners) all of us and that HE's allowed The Devil who lives backward to test us all and if we chose to follow him well he'll create our heaven for us and so be "IT" because of our free will.

Just for a split second, let's pretend that GOD really did create His Angels before HE created us and yes we were perfectly happy in paradise after them and long story short, we "MEN" are wrong to keep blaming WO men from paradise because GOD the pussy cat, I mean this Man who was all love and loves believes everyone. Don't you think that some of GOD's Angels created first might have had the same problems that we are having nowadays cause HE never revealed Himself to all invisible Angels and "ONE" of The Devil's cells really fell in love with Eve.

Long story short, let's say that some of them goofed just like me and you and now here we are on earth with these angels and they are invisible and well let's say that they, these angels start believing that they really are the true gods now. Were does that leave us simple humans who are nothing but blood, bones and flesh against these invisible angels who some think that we are but pup pets. Longer story shorter, if we don't truly believe in The "Trinity" who is the only "ONE" who could really protect us in the long run, what chance do we humans really have now?

I could go on and on ranting but I better stop now cause I'm runny out of beer! :)

God Bless Peace

9:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I think angels are kind of scary and I mostly try not to think about them.

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home